5 Amazing Places You Need to Explore Near Harare

Thursday, March 17, 2016


The Holidays are a week away! After the stress of exams and last minute sports events you definitely deserve a break. One of my favorite ways to relax is to grab a few of my best friends, hop in a car, and take a road trip away from the craziness of the city. Fortunately for most of you reading this, you live in Zimbabwe, a country overflowing with scenic treasures. I'm not just talking about our beloved "Smoke that Thunders" or the transcendent beauty of Manpools. You can literally find jaw dropping natural havens right around the corner. This past year I visited just a few of them and thought I'd share a couple of my favorites. I'm definitely going back to all of these gems, so hopefully I'll run into you ;)    

1. Cliff Diving at The "Blue Water" Quarry in Mutorashanga


This tops my list as the number one place you need to visit this holiday! If I could I would build a house next to the quarry and live there forever (hypothetically speaking ;) ). The magnificent blue of the water is breath taking and takes you by surprise the minute you see it. When I walked up to the water I could barely believe my eyes, it felt like I was in a fairy tale, filmed in HD! The water is pretty safe to swim in (I think) and there usually isn't anyone else around :) For an extra adrenaline rush jump off the semi-high parts of the shore (don't go too high, it can get pretty sketchy)! This was probably one of the scariest things I've done, but it was so so fun! I would also recommend packing some lunch or buying a couple of pizza's so you and your friends can chill  and chat after. Oh, and best of all... its absolutely FREE!

2. Hanging Out with Pumba at the Lion and Cheetah Park

 
Your probably rolling your eyes right now! Even though everyone has at some point been forced to go there as a child, the Lion and Cheetah Park is still one of the coolest places in town. I got to visit it about a month ago and was pleasantly surprised at how much it has grown. As you can see in the picture I got to make friends with a bunch of warthogs (who actually pretty grumpy haha.) I also got to walk with Zebras, Kudu's, Springboks and the 100 year old tortoise that lives in the park hut. The lions and crocodiles were pretty great to see but were behind fences which kinda made me a bit sad. Overall though, I really think you should consider passing by, the company is amazing ;)

3.    The Rolling Hills at Domboshawa


The wind gently caressing your hair, the soft crunch of warm gravel beneath your toes, the smell of fresh air rushing into your lungs. These are all part of the Domboshwa experience. My friends and I recently visited this hidden treasure and hiked up to the highest point. From the top we were surrounded by scenic views that made me want to lift up my hands and dance. The sky was a soft baby blue and the tranquil silence of the hills was filled with the noise of our laughter and happy banter. If you're looking to have a super relaxed afternoon with your besties Domboshawa is a great place to be.

4. Riding Elephants at Pamuzinda (Chengeta)


If you have some extra money to spend and don't want to travel too far to find adventure you can always stop by Pamuzinda. This place is especially dear to me because my sister and her husband rode into their wedding on the two resident Elephants there. The staff are super friendly and treat the animals really well, making sure to let them wander free most of the time. Riding on an elephant is almostlike an outer body experience. They move gracefully and don't seem to notice you there at all. Their skin is pretty coarse, but there's a softness in their eyes that makes them seem so friendly and conscientious. Elephants are my favorite animal, even if you don't get to ride on them, just seeing them is enough to make you relax. 

5.
   
Finally, right in the middle of Harare you will find Jacaranda Pass. A small rode that is overshadowed by gorgeous Jacarandas. In the midst of the buzzing noise of Avondale, this stretch of land seems out of place, a rose among thorns. My brother and I love to buy blue, candy flavored freezits to munch on as we walk along the small pavement in the center of traffic. If not for anything else some of my best Instagram pictures have been taken there ;) This gem is often overlooked, but I always find myself going back to it to find peace. 

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. I am looking forward to visiting Mark and Esther and experiencing all 5 of these places! Mom (not Isaac)

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook