Leaving Everything, Losing Nothing

Friday, March 11, 2016


Over forty-two hours had passed since we started our journey to Zimbabwe. The long flight hours, cramped space, funny smells, strange food, and the seemingly unending layovers were quite bearable with Mark by my side. I never expected that at the age of 20 I would be heading off on such a life changing adventure, that I would be leaving one country for another, or that I would be married to the man of my dreams.
 We had been married for 22 days when we departed my beloved country, America, “home of the free, land of the brave” (also the land of Justin Beiber). I left behind my loving parents, five sisters, four brothers, three nephews, two nieces, Grandparents, and countless cousins, Aunts and Uncles.  I left my three closest friends, my job, my car, my small town in Michigan with it’s comforting small town vibe. I packed most of what I held dear as memories, and stuffed what I could in suitcases.
What could ever make me leave my family, friends, comforts, and familiarities?
Well, as much as I love my husband, Mark, I didn’t leave for love, (although that helped immensely!) nor for a better job, nor a better start in life. I left because I knew, I know, without a shadow of doubt God had called me to Zimbabwe.  I didn’t expect it to all happen so soon, but I left because I knew in my heart that this is where I am supposed to be. To marry Mark, someday raise a family, and just LIVE. I lost nothing in leaving America. To live for Christ, is to gain everything! Though I was sad to leave and sometimes miss my family, friends, comforts, and familiarities, my identity is not found in them, therefore change isn’t as difficult as it seems.
I am so excited to finally be permanently here! This is my third time to Zimbabwe, and this time for forever, or until God leads Mark and I somewhere else.  Mark was born and raised here, I feel so blessed knowing he chose me and to take on the trouble of importing a wife. Most of our three year relationship was long distance, and not without some struggles, but here we are. I am 20 years old, married and in Zimbabwe.
 My favourite colour is green; I find the smell of the earth right after a fresh rain irresistible. I enjoy the sunshine, and despise the cold after a month. I love taking long walks on dirt roads with Mark and our dog Bailey. I enjoy seeing the fruits of my labor whether it’s from my baking, making meals, gardening or helping my husband. I love farm life and watching my two, three month year old tortoises grow. And although I am from the states..... no, I have not met Justin Beiber.
I am so excited to be joining the Purple Lipstick team! Marlene came and told me about it the first Sunday I had arrived. After meeting everyone, Noni, and Albert, and hearing their stories, I can see why they have been to so many schools. I am honoured that they asked me to join and I am looking forward to see how each of our stories can impact lives. I can’t wait to aid in their cause of telling you, that you are worth so much! Your identity is outside of what others think, say, or do to you. You have value! no matter your past, nor how dim your future may seem. Whatever changes you face, know in your heart who you are, who God says you are! and He’ll bring you to unexpected people, in unexpected places on unexpected adventures.
Looking forward to meeting you!

-Esther

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. Wow this is amazing. May God continue to guide you and bless you on this new chapter of ypur life.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook