Because she competes with noone... - Noni's musings

Wednesday, February 03, 2016


At the beginning of the New Year, I made a decision to take a long break from all things "social media". Now, I am so obsessed with Instagram and Facebook, so this was a tough call to make but it had to be done. I realized that I was not using social media to edify God in any way, instead I used it to stalk my primary school best friend who is now living it up in Dubai!! a lump of envy would rise to my throat every time I saw her pics; outfit and hair ALWAYS on fleek (whilst I on the other hand could barely keep my relaxed hair straight for a full day) ; eyebrow game so strong; the hashtags #Yass #Slaying are basically the order of her Instagram daily life. And I would feel bad about my own life which pales in comparison to such fabulosity. And usually by the time I exhausted my 250MB daily bundle, my heart would be green with envy and I would be so discontent with my life. But I thank the Lord that He called for an intervention in my life during one of our one-on-one sessions and He reminded me of Galatians 6:5 "...don’t compare yourself with others. Each of you must take responsibility for doing the creative best you can with your own life…" (The Message). Basically He was saying two things: firstly; "My dear Nnonipie (I think that's His nickname for me. Lolie), if only you could fully understand and fathom what a creative God I am. I don’t do carbon copies, neither do I specialize in one-size-fits-all. Before you were born, I mapped out a unique purpose for you. Stop looking over at other people as they do what I have (or at times what I have NOT) tasked them to do, basically: run your own race! Walk in your own lane!" How liberating! It made me feel free to know this truth.
You see, competitiveness and jealousy are a form of bondage at their core. Their tie up our happiness like those little weights that hold down helium balloons. What a waste of time!
So just relax and trust God. Celebrate other people's success; share in their pain. Learn to love yourself. And THEN learn to love others, that way you will never feel the need to covet their walk. Realize that everyone's lane is tailored to suit their different needs and strength according to the unique way God fashioned them. Find contentment in the seasons of your life. In the end God's perfect plan will prevail. Do your own thing; that unique thing God is leading you to do! Comparing yourself to someone is like comparing the Victoria Falls to the Table Mountains. They are both beautiful. In the words of one fabulous Mrs. Ashley Brown; "uplift, edify and inspire each other rather than trying to compete and outdo. It’s pointless and a waste of your energy". I say; there is room for everyone to win :)
You are so very loved

xxxx
-Noni 



You Might Also Like

3 comments

  1. Amazing page and amazing presentation this morning at eaglesvale. Just knew that when you guys talked about it I had to visit. It was so awesome seeing you guys...you really inspired me and helped me through quite a lot in just 30 minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Tanatswa! We really appreciate the encouragement and are so glad you enjoyed today! Hopefully we will get to see you the next time we come over to Eaglesvale. Continue to shine wherever you! -love the PL Team :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful piece Noni....its always tempting to stalk people whose paths you,ve come across in this walk of life on social media...and soo true it always somehow leaves u feeling like u not good enough...like they have it all figured out and u dont...thank you for the beautiful advise helpin young adults especially our sisters out there to AcCePt their beautiful selves...and one thing iv discovered..that one friend in 'Dubai' we always think has it all, will also stalk u on social media, admiring how natural and happy you are...we are all equal...learning to be content with the unique and fearfully made image God created you to be trully is the beginning of unfathomable joy...

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook