Getting to Know Senamiso Mathobela- the First Fully Authorised Female TNCC Power System Control Engineer!

Friday, April 22, 2016


In the spirit of our ‘Think Like A Girl’ Theme, we present to you Senamiso Mathobela-Nleya. Senamiso is one girl who wears an ‘S’ on her chest all day, every day. She is the very first female Power Systems Control Engineer at the National Power Grid in the United Kingdom!! What I found most astounding about this humble and graceful individual is that she is also a mother to two gorgeous and energetic toddlers and; a wife AND YET she is still slaying it in the world of engineering. Who said you can’t have it all?

Not too long ago, Senamiso, or Mantsha as she is affectionately called by her family, was just another teenage girl in high school who chose Math, Physics and Chemistry as an A-Level combination at a high school which she attended in England. After high school, Senamiso chose to come back and pursue her engineering degree at the University of Zimbabwe where she was one of the only three girls to register for the program that academic year. Being determined and inattentive to her critics and naysayers helped to travail through college until she graduated as a qualified engineer. Shortly after that, she worked for a telecommunications company here in Harare-Zimbabwe, but she points out that she always knew that she wanted to be in the power systems engineering field.  After about a year she applied for a job at our very own ZESA where she worked before she moved to England, and she has been the power systems business since then!
It’s been quite a journey to the dream job, and we wanted to know a little more about that experience. A few weeks ago I was blessed with the opportunity to sit down with this amazing and inspirational young mover and shaker in the world of engineering and the following is the conversation that ensued….

First things first, what has been the highlight of your career as a Power Systems Engineer so far?
Well, obviously, it has to be becoming the first female Power Systems Controller/Engineer at the National Grid (England)! That tops it for me so far, hopefully there will be more highlights in the future! Oh, and I have been nominated for a Zimbabwe Achiever’s Award! So please do vote for me!

Being recognized and nominated to receive a Zimbabwe Achiever’s award is kind of a big deal! How are you feeling about that?
When I got the news I couldn’t help but feel weird about it! It was completely unexpected, when I set out to be an engineer I never really expected to get nominated for awards, neither did I anticipate the level of success which I have been blessed with today. I was just going about my life, just doing my normal everyday job.

Did you see this kind of success coming though?
Well, all I knew when I was applying for my job was that if I got it that would mean that I was going to be the first woman in England to hold that title. But I did not expect all the hype that would accompany my appointment into this position [Chuckles]

Wow, being the very first woman to be a Power Systems Controller at the British National Grid! Was the mere idea of going into that male dominated territory intimidating?
It was challenging, I will be honest, but I have always been up for a challenge. I remember when I took up engineering in university everybody told me how hard it is, some people told me that I would never make it, others said that very few people made it in this field, and I said to myself “you know what? I like a challenge! I am up for one, so I’m going to go for it!” And that has always been my attitude. Sometimes you win, sometimes you don’t, but isn’t that just how life works? But it’s always worth a try…. I mean it’s always great when things actually do work out [Laughs]

How important was education to you when you were a teenager?
It was always very important! It was the thing that I was good at, so yea, you know, it was the thing I was best at [Chuckles] I wasn’t really good at anything else like sports for instance [Chuckles] sports were definitely not my thing! So yea, education was always very important to me. I realized that it was the one thing that opened the door to just about anything.

So what motivated you through school? What kept you going?
What kept me going? Hmm… I guess I could say I have always been a determined person, for some reason, I always knew from the start what I wanted to do and I would always try to get what I wanted. So I suppose I could say that I was always very self-motivated. My friend’s dad was my hero. He used to tell us all these interesting things about the job he did and I would always tell myself that I wanted his job as well.

Was your friend’s dad, your childhood hero, also an engineer?
Yea…. So I would ask him loads of questions about the right subjects to take up and I got a lot of career related advice from him. It’s very important to get career guidance early, if you know what you want to do find out the right combination of subjects which can get you there.

How would you encourage younger girls who may be feeling overwhelmed in their different domains for instance at school, in university/college or at work, what would you say to uplift girls who are really feeling the stress of the grind and working towards achieving their goals?
It’s always going to be hard! One way, or the other; it’s not easy. If you are going to
be hard! So you just have to keep your focus and tell yourself that whatever challenges you are faced with only exist to propel you forward. So just go for it! Never convince yourself to give up just because you think it’s too hard! Giving up is the worst thing you can ever do to yourself! Just keep trying, if you fail, you just get up and try again! There’s no harm in that….

Over a decade ago, this very same woman shared this quote with me; ‘whether you think that you can or that you can’t, either way, you are right’. Today she is living proof of the truth of that statement. As clichéd as this may sound, you actually can be absolutely anything you want to be if you keep your focus! Here’s another quote which was written by a famous wise king centuries ago; ‘Do you see a girl (I tweaked that part) who is diligent in her work? She will not stand before unknown people, she will stand before people in high places, Kings and Queens.’ If you have gotten off track, maybe this is the season to recommit to diligence! I hope you are as inspired by our Woman Crush Every day-of-the-week power-house, Senamiso, as we are!

Love Always
P.S If you want to show Senamiso a little love and support, please go right ahead and vote for her on the link provided below

http://www.zimachievers.com/uk/nominees/

You Might Also Like

1 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook